Thursday, August 3, 2017

My Interview With Cary Elwes, Author and Lead Actor of the Classic Movie The Princess Bride

I couldn't believe my eyes when I received a copy of As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From The Making of The Princess Bride, a memoir by actor Cary Elwes, about the making of the Princess Bride.
Here was a chance to interview  the lead actor of one of my favorite movies ever.It's an amazing movie, one of only a handful that I have seen multiple times, that is extremely quotable and had an excellent cast, from Billy Crystal to Andre the Giant, from director Rob Reiner to Mandy Patinkin to Robin Wright.
The foreword is by Rob Reiner, who calls the making of this movie one of the highlights of his life. The book provides glimpses, some hilarious, some somber, most enlightening, about the making of the movie, the frustration when the studio didn't know how to market it and it did not do well at the box office to it becoming a cult classic.
There is also an epilogue from producer Norman Lear.Here is  the interview I conducted by email with Cary, who plays Westley in the movie.


1) Why  do you think this movie has become so popular
? I think it’s because it’s funny, its made with a lot of heart and it’s a family film.

2) What are you most proud of in the movie?
I am just proud to be a part of it.

2A) How did you prepare for being Dead or Almost Dead Westley?

In the script there was only limited stage direction so I came up with all the physical behavior and Rob seemed to like it.

3) What was Andre the Giant and the rest of the cast like to work with?
There was a camaraderie on the set unlike none other I have ever experienced. Andre was special in that he really was a gentle giant. We all still miss him.

4) Why did Rob Reiner and you have to leave the set during one actor's performance?
Because Billy Crystal began doing
medieval stand-up as Miracle Max and Rob’s laugh is very robust and I was not supposed to move at all being ‘mostly dead!’

5) Why did they initially  have trouble marketing the movie?
I think because it was a blend of so many genres.  

6) Why did you decide to write this book? Why now?
I always get asked ‘was it as much fun to make the films as it looked?” And I always say “it was more fun!” So I wanted to share that with the fans before my memory began to fail me.

7) Do people come up to you and recite lines from the movie?
All the time.

8) What's next for you? What roles would you like to be able to play?
I have two films coming out next year: Sugar Mountain with Jason Momoa and The Greens Are Gone with Catherine Keener.

Thanks. It's been a pleasure. It's one of my favorite movies and I know many who feel the same way. When I began dating my girlfriend I would say "as you wish" and she'd say "what?" so I had to show her the movie to get her to understand:)

That’s hilarious. Glad to be of help!

No comments:

Post a Comment