Sunday, August 13, 2017

Four Interviews With Jeffrey Deaver

 An Interview With Jeffrey Deaver, Author of Carte Blanche (the new James Bond book)

An Interview With Jeffrey Deaver About His New Book The Burning Wire


My Interview With Jeffrey Deaver About His Latest Novel, The Bodies Left Behind

Jeffrey Deaver is one of the masters at crime thrillers, and especially for having killer twists near the end. He is perhaps best known for The Bone Collector, which was made into a movie, but that was just one of 24 novels he has written.
I interviewed him before for his book Sleeping Doll and Vicaxp has also interviewed him. Marilyn reviewed his last book, The Broken Window. Incidentally if you are interested in receiving, for free provided you live in the U.S., some new books to review, check this piece periodically as I'm always willing to give some new blood here some opportunities.
Deaver's latest has several twists I did not see coming and I loved it. My opinion and respect of him grows with each new book I read and this was no exception.
He was polite and nice enough to let me interview him again via email.
Scott:Do you have further plans for the female protagonist from this book, Deputy Brynn Mackenzie?
JD: No, not at present. This was a standalone I wrote for the fun of it. I'm presently finishing my Kathryn Dance (The Sleeping Doll) book for 2009 and outlining my next Lincoln Rhyme novel, for 2010.
Your publicity material for this book mentions that you recently appeared as a corrupt reporter on your favorite soap opera, As the World Turns. How did that come about and how did it go? Can we see it via YouTube?
JD: I was appearing on CBS's Early Show and mentioned that I happened to enjoy adding "soap-opera" elements to my books, i.e., conflict involving personal issues, as well as crime. I joked about a recent episode of As The World Turns, complaining that Craig Montgomery had not been brought to justice. The producer, it seems, was a fan of my books and invited to appear on the show for a week. It was exciting and gave me new respect for actors. By the way, I was killed after I pulled a gun on the man I was blackmailing (and did my own stunt work!).
Speaking of YouTube, your publicity material also mentions that are a former journalist and folk singer. Does that mean you don't write songs anymore or is that still a hobby? Can we see or hear you do any of your songs? If you were to write a folk song about your life what would you call it?
JD: No, out of respect to my fans, and everyone else, I don't perform anymore. I do play for myself and close friends sometimes. Hmm, a folk song? The Storyteller. That sums it up pretty well.
What is the best and worst part about writing a series (your Lincoln Rhyme character) versus stand alone books?
JD: The good thing about series is that you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time you sit down to write; you know the cast of characters. The problem is that it's a waste of time to imperil his life; fans know I'll never kill him. I have to find other devious ways to make poor Lincoln sweat.
How do you do decide if a scene is too violent? Have you had to re-write scenes because of your concern they had too much gore?
JD: I am very aware of the distinction between gore and suspense. I'm a firm believer in the anti-gore side of writing (movies too). Gore is easy and simple; suspense is hard, but it's ultimately more satisfying. (More people like Alfred Hitchcock videos than autopsy DVDs.) I never have to rewrite because I don't put gore in, in the first place. Most of the violence in my books is off-camera. Remember, you have to continually ask yourself: What is best for the reader? That's an author's sole criteria in storytelling.
Some authors have no problem with their books being made into movies while others take steps to try to prevent it. What's your take on that issue, having a few of your stories made into movies? You have some in development too right? Follow-up question: What is it like to see cinematic versions of books you have read?
JD: I looks at books and movies as apples and oranges. I write books and I'm good at it. I'd be a lousy film maker, and have no desire to be involved in a creative project by committee, which movies are. I love watching films and have great respect for the difficulties of making them and the skill of the professionals, but I'll leave that to them. And, yes, it's always an exciting thing to see something you'vre created up on screen.
Which book would you suggest a reader new to you begin with?
JD: I would recommend one of the recent Lincoln Rhyme books. Probably The Cold Moon. Then my book featuring Kathryn Dance (a body-language expert and investigator in California), The Sleeping Doll.
What are you working on next?
JD: I'm finishing my latest Kathryn Dance book, to be published in June, 2009. The title is Roadside Crosses.
What are the low points and high points of your career?
JD: The low point was the rejection I had early in my career; there was no letter from the editor. I simply received back my own cover letter, upside down, with a footprint on the back. The high point was the various awards I've received from organizations sponsoring competitions in which fans, rather than peers or critics, pick their favorite books. E.g., the Ellery Queen short story awards and the W.H. Smith Thumping Good Read Award.
What is the oddest interview question you have ever been asked?
JD: Whom do I use as inspiration for the sex scenes in my books. (Curious, since there are very few.)

An interview With Jeffrey Deaver, Author of Sleeping Doll


Jeffrey Deaver is one of the masters when it comes to writing good psychological thrillers. Even if, for some reason, you don't recognize his name, you probably have heard of one of his books that was made into a movie: The Bone Collector.
His most well known series features Lincoln Rhyme, a quadriplegic detective, but he has also started a series featuring Kathryn Dance, a kinesics expert. Sleeping Doll is one of the latter. He has written more than 20 novels and two short story collections.
He was nice enough, after months of pleading via email, to agree to an email interview.
Scott Butki: What did you seek to do with this book and do you think you met that goal?
Jeffrey Deaver: My goal, as always, is to give my readers a compelling, highly enjoyable roller coaster of a ride - with the addition in the Kathryn Dance books of added character development and conflict, what I call affectionately the "soap opera stuff." I think, from reader response, that I was successful.
Did you do any kind of research for this book? Who did you talk to?
This research was mostly into mind control and kinesics (body language). I did talk to some interrogators for law enforcement and security agencies but mostly I did what I always do - research online and through books.
What question do you wish interviewers would ask but they never do?
Actually, I'm very impressed with the quality of most interviewers and their questions. My one wish is that they read at least a portion of the book, if not the whole thing, before the interview.
I read that you were alternating between this series and Lincoln Rhyme each year. Is that still the plan?
Yes, now that Kathryn has proved so popular around the world, I will be writing those books every other year, interspersed with a Lincoln Book.
Who do you prefer to write about - Rhyme or Kathryn Dance?
I have no preference at all. Anyway, it's never about me - it's about my readers.
What has been the high point in your career as a novelist? What has been the low point?
High: I think having people come up to me, both young and old, and say they rarely (or never) read a novel until they picked up one of mine. And now they've started reading again. The low was, as for every writer, in the beginning, when I just couldn't get the attention of readers in the very crowded field. It's harder to see yourself sell only a few thousand copies than to be published at all.
What do you think sets you apart from other thriller writers? Plot twists? More psychological?
My value-added is the twists and the surprise endings, which I spend months plotting out.
What are you working on next?
My next book is a Lincoln Rhyme novel, set in Manhattan. The title is The Black and White Rainbow.
Thanks for your time and for a great book. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment