Saturday, August 12, 2017

How To Be Good At Losing (Or Bad At Winning) Games; How To Win By Losing (at Uno)

A memoir piece I wrote about playing games but ensuring i didnt win so much my then charge (this was 8 years ago or so) would lose interest in playing games with me


The media market is full of books, movies, ads, spam,. etc on how to win games, win women, win money from nigerians, etc.
Where's the books for people who want to lose games? What's that? Oh, you're wondering why would anyone want to lose on purpose? Lots of reasons really. Eve played a game with a kid? Do you win 20 times in a row or do you occasionally let them win? Why? Because if you always beat them at, say, Scrabble seeing as they are still learning the alphabet and you teach English at grad school they'd not want to play anymore.
I work with special needs adults and teens. Most are unable to play my favorite board game, backgammon. Checkers is a bit sketchy - some get it, some don't.
But Uno is used in many schools now and is a game just about anyone I work with knows how to play.
I try to intentionally lose every few days because if I don't they might not want to play anymore.
I lose at checkers with one adult I work with. Losing at checkers is much harder than one might imagine. Not only must you intentionally make wrong moves but, if you want to avoid ruining the prospect that the person will decide you're an idiot, you must also do some decent acting, "I can't believe I did that!" I've gotten pretty good at acting through this experience, enough so that I'm pretty sure they think it's luck or skill that lets them win half the time.
The real challenge is the end game of checkers when you to make truly boneheaded moves in order to lose or perhaps point out - like you're suddenly their best friend - a move you claimed you didn't see until after you moved.
So I thought checkers was the hardest game to throw.
But that was before I met The Kid.
That was I began to learn it's harder to intentionally lose than it is to intentionally win.
Story continues below...
Meanwhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment