Sunday, July 30, 2017

A Possible Letter to NPR Re: car stereo theft

(originally published in 2009)

Dear NPR Morning Edition
On Tuesday you broadcast this report
about car stereo thefts being down. On Wednesday morning, while I was parked at an Austin library, someone stole my car stereo. At least half of the people to whom I've mentioned that my first month in Austin was marred by this respond by mentioning your report.
This has led me to a few conclusions or possibilities
a) The car stereo thief does not listen to NPR
b) The car stereo thief didn't listen to NPR before but he may now and if he is listening to you read this letter aloud I hope he will realize his faux pas.
c) The number of people who listen to NPR is higher than I thought.
On Saturday I realized that there was one other thing the theft took - an electric razor that I kept on the car seat. At first I thought did he think, while robbing the car, "man I need a shave?"
But I later decided maybe i'm coming at this backwards. The guy didnt break into my car, steal my stereo and then decide to steal my electric razor that was on my car seat. Rather he needed a shave and saw the electric razor and broke into my car and then thought "while i'm here.... I want to get a radio so I can listen to NPR."
Scott Butki
P.S. Maybe the thief was confused by the bumper sticker I have: Voluntary Simplicity: Less is more. Perhaps the word "voluntary" threw the person - I like to keep things simple but I like to make my own choices on how simple I want things to be.

Followup here: Good News: My Relationship With NPR, Through Car Stereos, Has Resumed, After An Awkward, Abrupt 13 Month Break

No comments:

Post a Comment