Thursday, November 26, 2015

Trotting On Thanksgiving

I participated in my first Turkey Trot, an event put on annually by local sandwich show ThunderCloud Subs with all money going to Caritas, which drew more than 20,000 runners. Wow.
I decided on a whim last night to participate and briefly considered doing the run but it's 5 miles (not a 5k) and since I haven't been training I thought that might be too much... and my decision was made when it stated in the event FAQ that its an event for runners not those doing what i'd do namely walk some and run some.
Instead I did the one mile walk though I ran about half of it.
I think I have the racing fever now. I'd always wondered why my dad did so many races and triathalons. Maybe i'm starting to understand.
My goal is to run the 5 mile next year and in between make good on a vow to run a 5K one of these days (now sooner rather than later)
I am thankful for my health so I can do these things.
The rain began soon before the events.
I made some key mistakes - since it's been colder in Austin I wore sweats... which had a faulty draw string. And I made the rookie move of having my wallet with me. So there were times when I was running with my wallet in one hand so it wouldnt weigh down the sweats and there were times when I'd be running while holding up my sweats with one hand.
Working in the schools we'd have to watch for those with drooping pants and tell them to pull them up or put on zip ties to keep them up. Now suddenly I was one of those guys... but trying to run.
Next year - im wearing shorts and will keep the wallet in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment