Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Introduction: Welcome To My Blog

Hi, I'm Scott.  I'll post a two part piece introducing myself in more detail but for now lets
let this suffice: I'm forty-something, I live in Austin, Texas, and I always have a lot on my mind.

I was a newspaper reporter for 15 years following graduation from Cal Poly Pomona in 1991 and made a career change from covering education as a reporter to becoming an educator... to special education work.
I have been working with folks with special needs - mostly teenagers - in the schools and in homes. I currently work with four families with four very different kids with special needs.

Two of the families are fine with me sharing details of my encounters, observations, actions, musings, etc with their kids provided I avoid using names and photos.

Remember when I mentioned I had a lot on my mind? I have been writing and personal narrative pieces for going on 25 years.
Lately I have been writing more as I have been living more deeply, especially through activist work.

Thus I have been writing many pieces from my heart about adventures in my life be they doing social action or working with folks with special needs. These I post on facebook. But it occurs to me that some are probably interested in reading those long pieces I interent to be a blend of educational, entertaiment and thought-provoking with all the other facebook pieces in between.  Put another way this is a place where you can read the longer bits without the funny videos and interesting links. Those are great and you can still find those on my facebook page. But this is a place to think about what I write instead of what others want.

That said I don't want to be the only one talking. I hope you talk back through the comments.

Therefore we have the blog title: "Thinking, Talking And Acting."
Because that activism work I mentioned - that is the biggest change in my life in recent months. Some of the pieces I will share here - past, present and future - will be descriptions of acts of social justice. I decided it was well past time I stoop up and acted in ways to change the world in a positive way versus typing about it on facebook.


Final note: this is my first attempt at a real blog. I'm hoping to pretty up this place once i have time and info on how to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment