Thursday, November 26, 2015

Ink and toothpaste

Ink and toothpaste, two words you rarely hear together. Both had interesting effects in the last three days.

Monday night while playing backgammon I kept noticing my fingers were dark. First I thought I'd was newspaper ink but seemed like as soon as I washed my hands they d turn dark again. It was the oddest thing. I put it out of my head until it started happening again Tuesday and I googled "my fingers are turning blue and black" and saw what I feared namely that it's a system of blood circulation problems.

But it was cold at work and they were not using the heater and sure enough cold fingers could mean discolored fingers. So I opted for frostbite rather than blood circulation and was soon wearing a hat and jacket indoors. I know if I dwell on the uncertain and unexplained I can get anxious so I do I can do well, compartmentalize.

That night I resumed an annual tradition of getting from the library more dvds than I had time to watch so I had a plethora of options. The librarian noted my fingers in the flash and asked if I work around ink and I said no. She said her mom is a nurse and she's worried this meant insufficient circulation and flow to my fingers. I was now worrying and vowing if I wash my hands and they turn dark again I'm going to have consider medical attention.

I go home and wash my hands and this time hooray they stay white and I'm happy but confused. I check my steps and note that I took off my new blue jeans and put on sweats and the problem stopped. I looked suspiciously at my jeans, one of two pair which I bought on sale at the gap.... and haven't washed them yet. I know some say to wash new jeans because they may shrink but I surmised, staring at the jeans, now I wonder if the new jeans still had ink or c color on them. And today I'm not wearing jeans and my fingers have been fine and I feel silly.

I felt less silly when my teenage charge told me what he and his brother used to stop a lense from popping out of his frames... toothpaste! They are proud of themselves for finding an alternative to tape or glue and asked me not to tell their mom. I said ok on one condition.

The condition? They let me watch next time he washes his glasses.

Never a dull day
‪#‎teenagerlogic‬

No comments:

Post a Comment