Monday, November 30, 2015

My Four Favorite Holiday Songs.. What are yours? (Please post link to song and reasons why it's a favorite)

(List typed up a few years ago but timely each year)

I was listening today to the Pogues classic "Fairy Tale of New York" and decided it was definitely one of my five favorite holiday-related songs ever.

In no particular order:
1) – Pogues and Kirsty MacColl - "Fairy Tale of New York" – There are three things that make this song great: 1) The contrasting, overlapping voices as if to demonstrate lyrically and musically their chracters dysfunctional relationship: 2) The late great Kirsty McCall is always a delight; 3) The dark language and deep lyrics provide a good contrast to the usual happy banter of holiday songs and strike closer to home than most of those suggesting everyone is happy during the holidays.
2) The Waitresses –"Christmas Wrapping" – Where I grew up in Southern California KROQ played this song to death every Christmas season but I never got sick of it and actually looked forward to it. The same can't be said for most Christmas songs, many of which are cringe-worthy. I could also relate to being a single – but always looking for a partner - during the holidays.
3) Band Aid – "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Unlike We Are The World, this song actually has a beat and lyrics that are not insipid. Ok, so the idea beyond the song and the gesture – famine relief – was somewhat simplistic and failed to wipe out the famine (probably an impossibility). Bob Geldof, former leader of the Boomtown Rats, was one of my musical heroes for this effort. This song is also a staple on rock stations during the holiday seasons but one I don't mind hearing multiple times.
The story of the song is well explained at Wikipedia The project eventually led to Live Aid, of which there is a great oral history here.

4) David Bowie and Bing Crosby – Little Drummer Boy – Contrary to the thinking of many people I grew up with, just because something (be it music or technical gadgets) is newer doesn't make it better. Take this song, for example. It's a classic and has been song many times by many different artists. But this duet is great both as cultural symbolism (a passing of the baton from one generation to another with Crosby dying a month after the tv special in which they sang it), as a fun story (Bowie was said to have hated the song but saihe did it because his mom liked Crosby) was and, best of all, this stands up a great cover all on its own.


I'm sure I've forgotten a few so if I left out ones you think should be included leave me a note and I'll consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment